The United States’ second largest city will again be the site of the biggest bout of domestic terrorism in its history, according to the Department of Homeland Security.
“We’ve been in a state of shock for the last couple of days,” DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday.
“We have been seeing some really big threats that have come in, and we’re seeing some more as of late.
It’s a big thing to say that we are at war.”
In a rare press conference, Johnson said that there had been an uptick in threats and threats of attacks and the government was working to address them.
“I think we are seeing that this is the biggest threat we’ve had in our nation’s history,” he said.
“So I want to reassure the American people that we’re on our way to a strong and successful future.”
The announcement came a day after the New York Times reported that New York City had received a record number of calls related to the domestic terrorism threat, with the number of callers from the city topping 3 million.
Johnson said that a total of 30 federal law enforcement agencies had been involved in the investigation, and he said that the FBI was actively working with the Department’s Office of Intelligence and Analysis to find out who is responsible for the threats.
Johnson was also asked if the FBI had made any arrests and if anyone else was being held in connection with the threat.
“The FBI is committed to working with our partners to find and bring to justice anyone who is involved in this violent threat, and I think we have the evidence and we will find them,” he replied.